Saturday, June 6, 2015

NYC: The First Chapter

One week down as an intern in New York City. I have had the wonderful opportunity to come to experience life in the Big Apple, to shadow an amazing illustrator whose work I have admired since I was a child. I am working for Brett Helquist. He has given me some amazing advice, and really taken me under his wing. I am energized and recommitted to this path I have chosen to walk because of his encouragement. If you would like to see some of his work, go to http://www.bretthelquist.com/ or his blog at http://bretthelquist.blogspot.com/ which I will be updating for him sometimes.
Anyways, this city has so much to do and to see! I have had a hard time figuring out how to fit everything in!
So far, I have: spent a whole day at the Met












sketched animals in the Natural History Museum


been to the Manhattan Temple
walked and sketched all through Central Park

been to Little Italy
eaten in Chinatown
walked across the Manhattan Bridge


Took the obligatory selfie in Times Square

seen Rockefeller Center with wonderful friends

and finally, somehow found myself at the NY ComicCon. 
(prints by Colin Lawler)
Everyday here has been filled with wonder. I'm serious about that, I am amazed at how tall buildings can get, how many people can fit in a subway car, how beautiful the sky can look through skyscrapers, how thick van Gogh painted and how beautiful New Yorkers are.
Here's to round two.




2 comments: